Sunday 1 April 2007

Where is my treasure?

In whom is my treasure
the things I delight,
the things that I think of
both day and night?

Is it vain things,
whose glory will fail?
Things that won't last
or ever prevail.

Things such as money,
my master its often,
or the lies of beauty and youth
as we grow old they don't soften.

Is it I'd climb
the ladders that be,
to the top of my company,
in intellect you see?

Oh, that Id' realise,
what foolishness is said,
to follow things things
and treasure instead,
the things that are futile,
and never prevail,
and in giving true satisfaction,
will always fail.

Oh, that I'd realise,
and flee from my friend,
that which would and should not
be my treasure instead.

Oh, that I'd ponder forever,
the wonders of him,
the one that was beaten and crushed
to show grace that would never dim.

He is the one
who dies in my stead.
May thoughts of him
never leave my head.

He is the mediator
between God and man,
the one that died,
nails driven in his hands.

He did not stay dead,
this mediator Christ,
He has indeed risen
and gives us new life.

We who love him,
have had our eyes open you see,
to behold his glory,
both you and me.

To us has been given,
the hope of eternal blessedness,
purchased through
the blood of righteousness.

Thus, flee from the things
that take you away.
Care not for things
that lead you astray.

Cling to Christ,
the crucified lamb.
For there's none that can satisfy
except the great I AM.

Delight in him only,
the Saviour who won
To have joy eternally,
in the mighty one.

Treasure this Christ,
who poured out His blood.
Treasure him only,
for he is our one,
our treasure only,
our delight you see,
He is our treasure, and only He.

The question I started,
to wonder with thee,
was where is my treasure
and where should it be?
The answer my friend,
I pray you will see,
is only in Christ,
and naught in me.

By Ben Waters March 2007.

2 comments:

Dave Miers said...

great poem!
i love it.

i linked to it from my blog...

Strummin' Ukestar said...

Thanks for that Dave! Encouraging to hear...