Thursday 18 January 2007

My Rock, Refuge and Saviour.

It strikes me how many times in the Bible God is pictured as a rock, refuge and saviour for those who love him. Then you find he is a terrible enemy of those who reject him at the same time. I was reading 2 Samuel 22-24 this morning. And it just hit me again. David continually praises God, acknowledging that He alone is a rock, the deliverer, the place to find refuge. Again, and again he is called "my rock", "my refuge", "my saviour". The language is very reminiscent of many of the Psalms.

"The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my deliverer; my God is my rock in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn my salvation. He is my stronghold, my refuge and my saviour... I call to the LORD, who is worthy of praise, and I am saved from my enemies." 2 Samuel 22:1-4 NIV.

I constantly need to remember that God is my rock. In him I can take refuge, for he is my saviour. And I see this again supremely in the Lord Jesus. My lord who suffered that I may have life. The One who delivered me from coping the wages of my sin (Romans 6:23), and I'm blown away! Sometimes I a bit slow in getting this into my head. I need the continual reminder.

1 comment:

Beat Attitude said...

Hey. Came across your post while looking up sermon resources, trying to get to the main points of 2 samuel 22, what it is that really enthuses people. So much stuff in there. Noticed that no-one had responded to your post and thought I'd pass on an "amen" to your thoughts. Blown away by God. How we need reminding of who he is!